Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Lovely Year of Finishes: February Goals / 4 X & Sewing Challenge

Well it is February and time to set some goals.  I'm actually doing two things in this post, setting my goals for A Lovely Year of Finishes and my goals for the 4 X 7 Sewing Challenge.

If you've been around this blog for any length of time, you know I can't just set one goal. I need a list. But I will pick my main goal that I really want done the most. The rest of the list is more to keep me on track than anything.

So my main goal for February is to assemble blocks for Callie and Beau's signature wedding quilt. Callie asked if I would be willing to do a quilt for people to sign at her wedding (which is in April) and of course I said yes. We talked colors over Christmas and she picked out what she liked from the Kona solids. And the plan was to go shopping for prints the Saturday after Christmas. But both she and I got sick. I ordered the solids and when they arrived I worked up a quilt just using the solids and she liked it. Then last Friday we did a face time session and redid it a little and now we have a plan using only solids. I ordered the white on Friday as well so as soon as it arrives, I'm off to the races. I'm only going to make the blocks, I will assemble the quilt after they are signed at the wedding. Here is the favored layout and then the fabrics.




Now my second goal is to complete my bee blocks. I am in three bees, so I have several blocks to make. I like all the blocks picked but I think the most fun will be the Union Jacks. I can't wait to do one of those with some of my Texas fabric. The other two blocks are a Bear Paw and Tic Tac Toe blocks, so all will be fun.

Third on my list is to finish quilting the memory quilt on the frame, and to get one more pieced. Yes I realize that these were on last month's list, and be prepared they will be on every list until they are done. Which I am hoping is soon.  

And my last goal for the month is to quilt at least one quilt. I have list of completed tops, but I think I want to do Sharla's Box Trot quilt. I picked this one because I purchased wool batting for it, and I am very excited to see how it works. Plus it is a bright and cheerful quilt just perfect to work on during the dreary month of February.


Now do I have more to do yes, but I will be happy if I complete these items.  I am also going to participate in the 4 X 7 Sewing Challenge lead by Sarah at Berry Barns Designs. This challenge is much harder for me, because it based on carving out 30 minutes per day to sew selfishly.  Now sewing everyday is a challenge enough, but I'm surprised at how hard it is to sew just for myself. Don't get me wrong, I have a long list of things I want to do for myself, but just look at my earlier goals, not one of them is really for me. Well, I consider them for me, I enjoy doing for others.  But for February I'm going to do some selfish sewing on top of the list above.  I thought about it and decided that I wanted to do more cross blocks for my bed quilt.  I am calculating that I will need almost 300 blocks to make a queen sized quilt. And even with what I receive from my bee mates, I will have lots and lots to do.  Last month I got 20 partially completed, so I want to complete those 20 and get more done.  If I were to pick a number I would say at least 30 more done, but I'm hoping for even more.  


So I'm going to be very busy this month.  But I much prefer to be busy than bored.  In fact I'm planning on moving my sewing machine into the family room today so I can watch the game, ok so I can watch the commercials and sew.  Today I am linking up with Melissa of Sew BitterSweet Designs and Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts for A Lovely Year of Finishes 2015, as well as Sarah at Berry Barn Designs for 4 X 7 Sewing Challenge.

  

11 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous projects! I usually make a combined goals/to-do list also. When I don't, I see no progress at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects to work on Shauna. You are going to be busy but it will be worth it. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA!! You are going to be reeeeally busy, Shauna! Those are all great goals, and I hope you do find the time to work for you on your blocks in between everything else. I especially love the wedding quilt - lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the wedding quilt design. That is going to be lovely.
    I am glad you are excited about my block. I thought little bits of the Texas bluebonnets fabric you love might find a home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pluses, they are going to look awesome in a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colours in the solids - will make a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool signature quilt. I love the secondary pattern you guys have going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the wedding quilt will be very pretty indeed www.crazyforpurple.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. I can't wait to see your progress on these quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ekk! I love those plus blocks! And what a great idea to have a signature quilt. It'll make a lovely memento.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!!!!