Thursday, May 5, 2016

May Is For Makers - Week 1

I'm not sure if you've heard about the May Is For Makers campaign started by Lindsey at LR Stitched, but the idea that we support some of the awesome independent quilt designers. Most do lots of free tutorials, quilt alongs and mystery quilts, but they don't make money off of those projects. They spend a lot of time working to create patterns, and sometimes we forget that as we visit their blogs. And as much as I would love for every pattern to be free, I realize that isn't possible. And if we don't support the wonderful quilt designer, they will find other things to support themselves and my not have the time or energy to create for us.

Now I know that sounds like some type of soap box pitch, but I do believe it. I am not a designer in any way, shape or form. So I'm not asking anyone to buy something from me. But I follow a ton of blogs, and I have seen some just stop because the designer couldn't continue to design and work elsewhere and it makes me sad.  I'm guilty of seeing patterns I like, but not purchasing them because I don't have a specific plan for it.

But that stops this month. I pledge to buy one pattern from a different independent designer every week in May.  The idea is to make your purchase on each Monday in May (there will be 5 Mondays) and to share your purchase on Instagram with the hashtag #mayisformakers. I will be sharing on Instagram and here as well.

I was late this week, because I couldn't decide what to buy and Monday and Tuesday were very busy for me. But I picked Courtyard Tiles by My Quilt Infatuation. I had this patterned pinned not once but twice on my patterns to buy board. I love that it appears to be curved piecing but isn't.


I could buy all five of my patterns from Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation, because I love her patterns. But I won't because I want to spread the love around. I'm already looking for my next week's pattern, the hard part is there are so many that I love.  I'm trying to be thoughtful on the patterns I buy, they need to be something I feel I could actually make. Hopefully I will be more on top of things and have my pattern actually purchased on Monday of next week.
May Is For Makers | LRstitched.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!!! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!!!!