Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday Finish: Sharla's High Street Turning Twenty

Yes it is Friday again, and I'm not really sure what happened to this week.  Normally I try to quilt on Monday's but that didn't happen this week.  In fact I'm not sure I even sewed on Monday.  So that meant I was pushing to get the quilting done and it bound for today.  But I did it...although it was close I didn't finish binding it until last night.

This quilt is Sharla's Turning Twenty using High Street by Lily Ashbury for Moda.  She made the top last year when I made mine.  I wasn't really blogging about quilting then and so there are not any pictures of the process.  I will say I picked out the fabric.  We had signed up for a turning twenty class, and thought we had 20 fat quarters in our Kissing Booth kits.  But the night before the class we opened up the kits to find there were only 12 in the kit, so I had to make a mad run the morning of class to our local quilt shop.  I was pretty scared because not only did I have to pick out 20 fat quarters for me, I had to pick out 20 for Sharla (and she is picky).  When I walked in the store I saw the High Street line all together and thought ok that would work  for Sharla or I, it has pinks, greens, yellows and oranges which we both love.  After walking around the store I kept going back to that line because I really loved it.  So I finally just decided that I would get half yard cuts and we would have matching quilts...again.

Well Sharla loved it too, and I think this is probably my favorite quilt(s) we've done.  The pattern is easy and shows off big prints really well. It finished at 75 x 90 inches, so it is not a small quilt. Sharla opted for the green border...no surprise to anyone who knows her.  I did an all over meander using Signature Bamboo which is a light greenish and really worked great.  Here it is laid out on Sharla's office floor.


She used the same fabric as the outer border for the back, and I think it looks almost as good as the front.



Now this quilt looks good in any light, but I really wanted to see it outside in the sunshine, because I knew those colors would look even better. The problem is finding a spot in the sun where the quilt won't get all yucky.  My sister's office has a couple of trees but they were all in the shade this morning, but as I was pulling out of her parking lot I saw a patch of grass and thought why not.  Of course the people driving on Royal Lane thought I was a little crazy.


And the wind was not very helpful either.  The colors looked more washed out than I wanted, but the bright Texas sun isn't always my friend. And don't anyone tell Sharla that I laid her pretty newly finished quilt on the ground or I'm going to be in big trouble.


When I got to my office I thought I would try laying it on the sofa in the waiting room to see if that was any better. I think the quilting showed up a little better and the colors looked pretty good.  



I will confess I did make a couple of mistakes in the quilting, but Sharla loves it anyway and that is what is important.  I'm trying to get my next quilt ready and on the frame this weekend, so I can complete the quilting on Monday.  And last but not least today I'm linking up with  Let's Bee Social with Sew Fresh QuiltsConfessions of a Fabric Addict, Link a Finish Friday @ Richard and Tanya Quilts, TGIFF...at My Quilt Infatuation, Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation,  Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts and Fabric Frenzy Friday @ Fort Worth Fabric Studio.







1 comment:

  1. This turned out so pretty. Everytime I see this pattern I love it but have never made one!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!!!!