Friday, October 31, 2014

A Lovely Year of Finishes: October Results


I waited until the last day to list my results in hopes that I would get more accomplished, but that didn't work.  I didn't get much done, due to lots of reasons, most of which revolve around "life happens". I am happy to say I did get a few things done, and here is my list and what I did or did not do for each item.

1.  Memory quilts...I wanted at least one top pieced, but that didn't happen. I got the third top's four patches made and the fourth top's squares matched.  I am going to have to get busy on these, maybe this weekend will be better.

2. Two quilts quilted...Not a single thing got quilted this month.  I twisted my knee and haven't been up to standing for long periods of time.  But it is feeling better every day and I hope to get a quilt on the frame on Monday. I think it will be Sharla's Box Trot, but I also found a couple of quilts that were lost...aka packed away, so I have plenty of selection.

3. Cut a top out for Sharla...Sharla decided to work on a project that didn't require any cutting from me, because it used pre-cuts.  But in the same box that I found packed quilts I found fabrics for a Cowboy (as in the football team) quilt.  She said today that she wants to work on it this weekend, so I might get some cut tonight for her.

4. Bee Blocks done and in the mail...YEAH something I did get done.  My bee blocks went into the mail last week.  I am really having fun doing the different blocks.  I've been wanting to do some string blocks and these babies just made me want to do more of them.  These were great fun and I think I'm going to strip a bunch of my scraps and just have them at the sewing table so I can periodically sew one or two.

5.  Cut blocks for Simple Greek Cross quilt...I have cut lots of the backgrounds for my blocks and a few of the crosses.  I bought a bundle of low volume fat quarters, to beef of my stash and have cut some out of almost all of them.  The crosses will be mostly scraps left from other quilts.  I've pieced one block.  I've even started writing the tutorial...but the blocks are so simple it isn't much to write.

Over all I sucked this month, in fact I turned on my sewing machine for the first time in weeks on Tuesday.....and boy did it feel good.  I'm putting together blocks for a test quilt and did all that I could do before fabric I ordered arrived.  So hopefully I will have things to show ya'll soon.

I am happy to say I'm feeling better and so is my little fur baby.  He is eating and moving around much better with each passing day.  I'm realistic enough to know that he is old and his time will come, but thankful that it wasn't this month. He is sometimes a bit of trouble, but ohh so worth it. Since I'm working for home 85% of the time now, he is always close, like today he is under my desk.

Now I need to get my but in gear and cut some fabric so I can finish my test quilt.   I am linking up with Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts and Melissa of BitterSweet Designs.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Compass Quilter's Bee Blocks - October

Let me start by saying October has been a very rough month.  I did these block the first weekend of the month and they are the only thing I've accomplished so far...well sewing/quilting wise.  The second weekend we had a garage sale and I tweaked my knee. The next week we were combining offices at work, and I tweaked it more (not good).  Then last weekend when I had some major plans to get some sewing/quilting done, my poor fur baby Tucker got sick, really sick, vet/emergency vet sick.  At one point we even had to have the "is it time" discussion.  Luckily thanks to some wonderful doctors, he is home and feeling ok.  He is ten years old, blind, diabetic and has a heart murmur, so we realize that the time will come that we have to finish that discussion, but I'm just happy it wasn't last weekend.

Our queen this month is Diana from Red Delicious Life and she picked a string block for us to do. She asked that the center strip be white (or white on white).  I used Moda's Bella Solid white and I really love how these blocks look.  I've been wanting to do some with a black center, but after doing these I may have to change my mind and go with white centers.  She gave instructions on how to mark your own paper templates as well as providing a paper template.  As I said before I finished these several weeks ago, but I don't let myself post about them until they are in the mail.

I ended up making 3 blocks because my first one was a little off, but I sent it anyway, because she might still want to use it. Plus it was my block with a little Texas on it.  So far I've been able to work a little piece of Texas into each month.  I tried to use lots of blues, greens and pinks, but also throwing in other colors so she would get a nice scrappy effect.

My first block was very easy but it didn't line up as well as I would want, but I love some of the fabric in it.  I cut my fabrics, 1 inch, 1 1/2 inch and 2 inches I had a couple of 2 1/2 inch strips, but I think I cut all of them down after sewing because they looked huge.

Did you catch the Texas part of the is in the upper left corner...a little bit of bluebonnet fabric.  Here is a closer shot.

Block two went together better and I think it might be my favorite of the three. It has some of my all time favorite fabrics, PB&J, Salt Water and  High Street.

My last block also has some of my favorite fabrics in it.  I think I like these blocks because the sewing was simple and straight forward and yet, they look so cool.  I can't wait to see what Diana does with them all.

She told us we could go crazy on the label, so mine has a very small white section with my name on it, and then random string piecing around it.  I was very happy with it.

I am having lots of fun with this Bee, so much so that I signed up for the Stash Bee 2015.  There are still some spots open if you want to join.  You can check it out HERE.