Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Finish - Kayla's Quilt

I know it has been forever since I've posted and unfortunately I've not been very productive this year, but that changed recently. At the end of last year we found out that my nephew and his wife are expecting, and in March we found out that they will be having a girl. So of course a quilt needed to be made. They are doing the nursery in pink and grey and so I worked up a couple of options and Jessica picked a chevron pattern.  I bought the fabric and got started.


In my head I had until mid July to finish, not thinking that the baby shower was Memorial Day weekend. When I realized that, the push was on, and I luckily got it finished. Fat Quarter Shop had Triangles on a Roll on sale so I bought a pack to see if it helped make HST faster. I do think it did make the process faster. Thanks to them and to the fact that the quilt is smaller I was able to finish it start to finish in just under a month. I didn't post it last week, because I wanted the finished product to be a surprise for them.  I did tease them a little with this photo on Facebook.


Saturday morning came and I hadn't photographed the quilt, so Sharla and I hurried outside to try and get a couple of decent shots. We didn't want to put it on the ground, so that mean't me holding it while she took the picture. Let's just say it was HOT outside even early that morning. It took us a couple of tries to get an alright shot.


Now what Trey and Jessica didn't know is that I added a little something special to the back. So I made sure it was folded so the back wasn't seen until it was unfolded.  I told them as they opened it to make sure they looked at the back. Jessica thought I wanted them to see the label, but no I was wanted them to see.


The back was facing the guests and everyone went ooohhh at the same time and so they quickly flipped it and they were thrilled. Which of course just made me happy. I didn't get a shot with both of them in it, Trey kept holding so you didn't see him behind it.


Over all I'm very happy with it and in some ways I like the back even better than the front. It was just big hunks of left over fabric, but I really love how it finished. My brother and sister-in-law gave them a handmade cradle, so I'm going to make a mini version that they can use in the cradle and then Kalya can use it as a doll quilt when she is older. Of course Trey said Jess would be stealing the quilt to use on the couch, so maybe I need to make her one as well.

I was happy to be sewing and quilting again, and I've even started two new projects, the cradle quilt and I'm joining the #scrappytrip2018 and creating a scrappy trip quilt using some Evergreen jelly rolls I had. Hopefully I will be able to show ya'll some progress on that soon. But for now I'm going to link up with Can I Get A Whoop Whoop @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation, Finish It Up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts, and Finished or Not Friday Linky Party at Busy Hands Quilts.

15 comments:

  1. So sweet! Love it. And glad to see you pop up on my blog list! Hope y'all are doing well. Can you believe how quickly it has gotten SO hot!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt mad with so much love, Shauna! I am sure that quilt is going to get so much use and love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna, truly a reversible quilt! The back is as cute as the front. What a great way to personalize a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty quilt, perfect for those special all important 'tummy times' !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. It's a great finish, and that backing is awesome. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very sweet finish. What a great idea for the back! And you even made your deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for the back of a baby quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is beautiful and completely reversible. I bet no one knew which side was the front!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trik Menang Bermain Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Yang Jarang Diketahui Klik Di Sini

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam
    https://sateayambv.blogspot.com/2018/12/inspirasi-dari-video-ayam-bangkok.html/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment!!!!!