On Saturday of last week I put together the backing for the Diagonal Squares quilt, I sewed it and ironed it. I was pretty tired, so I just left it at that for the day.
Last Sunday I got the back and top of Diagonal Squares loaded onto the frame. I watched the Handiquilter webinar last weekend and it recommended putting the top/back over the back of the machine as you roll and that really did work so much better. It takes about 30-45 minutes to load the top and back, depending on how big each one is. So I try to load the night before so I can start quilting in the morning when I'm fresh.
Monday I started the quilting. This quilt was longer than the ones I've been doing, so it took more time. I was whooped by the time I finished quilting it, but I'm very happy with the results. I am still working on all over meander, and slowly mastering it.
On Tuesday I was busy, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked. But I did get the quilt trimmed, and the binding cut. I probably would have gotten more done, but I kept debating on which fabric to use for the binding. I ended up using the same fabric as the backing.
By the time I got off work on Wednesday I was tired, but I did manage to get the binding sewn and the label made. I am loving using the corner label because it means no hand sewing which I really dislike!!! I also got a couple rows of my Trails End top pieced together.
Thursday was a mad binding night. I sewed both the front and the back to get the quilt done!! I sew both sides on the machine. Again because I don't like to hand sew, but also because I want the binding to hold up to lots of washings, with three dogs in the house, everything gets washed a lot.
Friday nights are probably the hardest for me to get sewing done. I just want to veg out in front of the TV and do nothing. But I was good and I got the next pieces for the test quilt done. Working with such large pieces is hard for me, because I struggle to sew a straight line. On small pieces isn't too bad but on these big pieces I really see it.
I was determined to finish the test quilt, so Saturday after work I sat down and sewed and sewed and sewed until it was complete. I can't show you the top yet, because I don't have permission from the designer, but I'm hoping to reveal it to you soon.
I also did some ironing of fabrics and played with picking out fabrics for my next quilt. Which is also a test quilt for another designer. She approached me and I'm very excited to get started on it. I have to get the back pieced for one of our old t-shirt quilts because that is what I want to quilt tomorrow. Hopefully I will get lots done to show you at the end of the week.